System testing falls under the category of software test cycle where a complete and integrated application/system is tested. System testing service companies play a crucial role in the proper functioning of any application.
Its purpose is to evaluate the end-to-end system, also known as the end-to-end test. It is used to prevent crashes and failures of the application during its implementation in the production environment.
There is a need of performing software system testing to:
- Evaluate the function of the whole system
- Test both the architecture of the application and the commercial requirements
- Check if any user input type creates the planned editing
- Check if an application meets the technical, commercial, and functional requirements
When is System Testing Performed?
According to the software test cycle, it is performed after completion of Integration testing and before acceptance testing. Users or independent testers are given the tasks they need to perform during the testing phase of the system.
There are over 50 types of system testing but let’s focus on the main types without getting bored. These are the tests the company verifies in a system testing:
- Regression Testing: The main goal of regression testing is to find errors or bugs in the overall system that have been overlooked after the introduction of a new feature.
Read More:- Functional Testing Techniques And Their Pros/Cons
An example of this type of software system testing is:
- General functional regression
- Bug regression
- Conversion and port testing
- Build verification testing
- Usability Testing: In this, an evaluation of a product by testing it on potential users is performed.
For example, if you are designing a website for a grocery store and that website allows users to shop online, the best way to test your design is to have a user browse your product while looking at it while trying to go shopping.
- Load Testing: It is a type of system testing service used to determine the performance of the application and is good enough to handle during peak load of users.
- Downloading a series number of large files from the internet,
- Simultaneously open multiple applications on a computer or server,
- Subjecting a server to a large amount of traffic,
- Data writing and reading to and from a hard disk without any break.
- Maintenance Testing: The main purpose of maintenance testing is to find bugs in the released product, diagnose and fix them, and make sure that changes made during development after release do not cause problems with other parts of the system.
This testing is done for example:
- Customizations such as enhancements, operating system or database updates, COTS software updates, or patches for defects and vulnerabilities.
- Migration from one platform to another.
- Security testing: The objective of security testing is to find potential bugs, flaws, and vulnerabilities in the software system that could lead to loss of data, revenue, or reputation by employees or third parties.
It is the main priority of a system testing company to secure the data of clients to gain trust and reputation.
- A password should be stored encrypted.
- Invalid users should not be allowed to access the application or system.
- Check cookies and app session time.
- The browser back button should not work on financial pages.
- Functional system testing: Basic functionalities of an application are tested against a predetermined set of specifications and measure the desired output.
Example of functional system testing:
- Unit testing
- Smoke test
- Sanity test
What type of testing is system testing?
System testing is a type of testing that assesses the end-to-end functionality of a system. This includes both functional and non-functional testing, and is usually conducted by the development team or a dedicated system testing team.
System testing is an important part of any development project, as it ensures that the system as a whole works as expected. It is often used to find bugs and issues that cannot be found through unit or integration testing. In addition, system testing can also help verify compliance with requirements and ensure that the system meets all performance standards.
Every software development process needs to perform testing and system testing companies have the best professional team or a single quality assurance specialist who can perform testing vigorously before the product is finally released.
If the software has all the tests and meets all the conditions, it is ready to be handed over to the customer. Testing is a crucial part and should be done very seriously.